A campaign has been launched by the Department of Education to encourage applications to the role of governor at Grant Maintained Integrated schools.
School governors play an important role in the management of a school, alongside the Principal.
Governors are volunteers from all backgrounds, who use their skills and experience to enable children to have the best possible education.
Education Minister Michelle McIlveen said:
“The Department is looking for volunteers to become school governors in Grant Maintained Integrated schools across Northern Ireland and make a difference in their local community.
"You do not need to be an education expert or be a parent as a governor. You need to bring qualities such as enthusiasm, commitment and the ability to work in a team; and have the desire to ensure children get the best possible education.
"By becoming a school governor, you will be making an invaluable contribution to society. You will also meet new people, learn new skills and help young people achieve their full potential."
Anyone over the age of 18 can volunteer to become a school governor in a Grant Maintained Integrated school. Positions are available in primary and post primary schools across the country. Applications are welcome from all sections of the community and previous experience or formal qualifications are not required.
Further information and guidance on how to apply to become a school governor are available on the Department of Education website.
A list of Grant Maintained Integrated schools is also available on the Department’s website.
Notes to editors:
- Follow the Department of Education on Twitter @Education_NI and on Facebook @Department of Education NI
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207 or email: Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- McIlveen officially opens new £7m Enniskillen Model Primary School 22 June 2022
- Landscape Review of the Education Authority published 22 June 2022
- McIlveen announces qualification arrangements for next academic year 21 June 2022
- McIlveen announces Special Educational Needs provision in mainstream schools 21 June 2022