Education Minister, Peter Weir, has approved a Development Proposal for the establishment of a statutory Irish-medium nursery unit at Gaelscoil Éanna, Glengormley.
The proposal, as published, was to provide 26 full-time places. However, in line with the Department’s moratorium on any new or additional full-time pre-school provision, the proposal has been modified to provide 26 part-time places.
Commenting on his decision the Minister said:
“Gaelscoil Éanna is an established and sustainable Irish-medium primary school in Glengormley. Numbers in the existing non-statutory pre-school suggest that the proposed level of provision would also be sustainable. Taking account of all the information provided, I have concluded that the evidence supports the establishment of a statutory part-time Irish-medium nursery unit at Gaelscoil Éanna.”
In conclusion the Minister said:
“Whilst the Department is committed to providing a pre-school place for each child in their immediate pre-school year, research has shown that there is no discernible benefit to children of a longer daily pre-school session. In this instance I have therefore amended the proposal and have given approval for the establishment of a 26 place part-time unit.”
Notes to editors:
- On 18 February 2016, the Education Authority published Development Proposal 449 on behalf of the Board of Governors of Gaelscoil Éanna. The proposal was to establish a statutory Irish-medium nursery unit, with 26 full-time places at Gaelcoil Éanna with effect from 1 September 2017, or as soon as possible thereafter.
- The statutory 2-month objection period ended on 18 April 2016.
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Applications sought for members to the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment 18 September 2023
- Construction work begins on £4.4 million sixth form accommodation at Parkhall Integrated College 18 September 2023
- Work begins on £11million building project for Coleraine Grammar School 11 September 2023
- Consultation launched on the Reduction and Management of Restrictive Practices in Educational Settings 05 September 2023