The Education Minister has asked the Education Authority to urgently revisit its decision regarding pre-school provision for children placed in special schools.
The Minister said:
“Given the current level of concerns and what I consider to be a lack of proper consultation on behalf of the Authority with parents and schools on this matter, I have instructed the Chair to formally revisit the decision reached in June of 2015.
“Before reaching a final decision on how pre-school provision in special schools should be designed and delivered, I have called on the EA to provide me with assurances that there has been full and open engagement with those most directly affected by any decision on pre-school provision in special schools and that they have been listened to.
“I have also emphasised that the overriding consideration must be how best to meet the needs of the children who will be accessing that provision.”
Notes to editors:
- The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect - Education Works for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education’s Communications Team on Tel: 028 9127 9268. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699715440 and your call will be returned.
- Work begins on £25million Ulidia Integrated College 29 September 2022
- McIlveen officially opens new £3million St Mary’s Youth Club 28 September 2022
- McIlveen cuts first sod for new £6.3million primary school in Limavady 27 September 2022
- New strategy will embed Shared Education in Northern Ireland: McIlveen 21 September 2022