The Education Minister has asked the Education Authority to urgently revisit its decision regarding pre-school provision for children placed in special schools.
The Minister said:
“Given the current level of concerns and what I consider to be a lack of proper consultation on behalf of the Authority with parents and schools on this matter, I have instructed the Chair to formally revisit the decision reached in June of 2015.
“Before reaching a final decision on how pre-school provision in special schools should be designed and delivered, I have called on the EA to provide me with assurances that there has been full and open engagement with those most directly affected by any decision on pre-school provision in special schools and that they have been listened to.
“I have also emphasised that the overriding consideration must be how best to meet the needs of the children who will be accessing that provision.”
Notes to editors:
- The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect - Education Works for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education’s Communications Team on Tel: 028 9127 9268. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699715440 and your call will be returned.
- NI Pupils perform well in mathematics, reading and science in International Survey 05 December 2023
- Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC) identified at a school in Belfast 29 November 2023
- Strike action will further disrupt the education of children and young people 20 November 2023
- Call for School Governors across Northern Ireland 13 November 2023