The official opening of the new Foyle College was carried out by the Princess Royal today.
Over 800 pupils attend the brand new school which has new teaching accommodation, grass pitches, synthetic tennis courts and a 3G pitch.
Previously the school operated on two sites half a mile apart before a new build was constructed on the former Clooney military base in Londonderry.
Deputy Secretary of the Department of Education, Fiona Hepper, said: “It is a great honour to welcome The Princess Royal to Foyle College this morning.
“This £24million investment delivers significant and positive change to the daily life of pupils, teachers and the wider community. At Foyle College a new chapter begins with a brand new state of the art school which will enhance the learning for this generation and future generations.
“Continued investment in our schools estate is essential if we are to help support our teaching staff to deliver a quality education to our children and young people.”
Foyle College Principal, Mr Patrick Allen, stated: “We are absolutely delighted that The Princess Royal was able to find time to visit Foyle College this morning for its official opening. Today marks the end of, what has often appeared to be, a very long journey from the original proposal to the Board of Governors to relocate onto a single site through to our relocation in January 2018; however, today also marks the exciting beginning of the next stage in the history of the school.”
Notes to editors:
- Currently 850 pupils are enrolled in Foyle College.
- Heron Brothers were appointed in May 2015 to take forward the building work. Foyle College was completed in December 2017.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 91279207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer on: 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_NI and our new Facebook page, Department of Education Northern Ireland (www.facebook.com/Educationni/).
- Work starts on £3.8million Gaelscoil na gCrann in Omagh 10 April 2019
- Applications sought for board members for Middletown Centre for Autism 09 April 2019
- Local schools awarded for exceptional pastoral care 08 April 2019
- Appointment of chairperson and board members to the Education Authority 28 March 2019