Special schools are set to benefit from an £800,000 investment for outdoor play and learning support.
The funding will support the delivery of high quality creative and innovative play and learning experiences for all children and young people in special schools.
Education Minister, Michelle McIlveen announced the new programme at Longstone Special School in Dundonald.
“The Covid-19 pandemic has significantly disrupted the education of our special school pupils and has impacted on their learning, communication and mental health.
“This significant investment of £800,000 will enable special schools to encourage and promote physical play and provide additional support in these important areas.”
Developed in consultation with school leaders and representatives of the education sector, the programme is designed to increase opportunities for physical play and to support the social and behavioural development of pupils.
The Minister continued:
“This Outdoor Play and Learning Programme will be rolled out to all 39 special schools.
“It represents an important opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of our most vulnerable children and young people who have been the most affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Notes to editors:
- Information on the programme can be found at: Outdoor Spaces for Play & Learning Programme in Special Schools | Department of Education (education-ni.gov.uk)
- Developed in consultation with school leaders and representatives of the education sector, the programme builds on significant engagement with the Special Schools Strategic Leadership Group throughout the COVID-19 period. It is a response to the identified area of need in special schools, relating to increasing opportunities for physical play to support social, emotional and behavioural development of pupils as school returns for the new academic year.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Education Minister launches NI100 Art Competition 11 October 2021
- Panel to undertake Independent review of education announced 27 September 2021
- McIlveen launches scheme to promote period dignity in schools 21 September 2021
- CPR Training for Post Primary Pupils 20 September 2021