The Engage Programme will continue to support children and young people’s learning in the next academic year, Education Minister Michelle McIlveen has announced today.
Engage was developed to provide schools with funding for additional teaching support for pupils. Engage III will be run across schools and other educational settings from the beginning of the new academic year.
Announcing an additional £10million to fund the Programme from September to December 2022, Minister McIlveen said:
“The Engage Programme provides vital support for our children and young people, particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds. As well as supporting pupils’ learning and engagement, it is helping to protect and enhance their social, emotional and mental wellbeing.
“The disruption caused by the Covid-19 pandemic is still being felt across our education system and it is important that we continue working to limit the impacts on pupils. Engage III is an important opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of our children and young people, which is why the continuation of the programme was a priority for me.
“I welcome confirmation received today from the Finance Minister to allow me to guarantee the continuation of this programme until the end of 2022 at this stage.
Flexibility in how to use Engage funding has been welcomed by school leaders. The Minister said:
“Schools will continue to have flexibility to use the funding in a way that best meets the diverse needs of their pupils. This will help to ensure the benefits of the Engage Programme are maximised for our children and young people who are most in need.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow the Department of Education on Twitter @Education_NI(external link opens in a new window / tab)(external link opens in a new window / tab) and on Facebook @Department of Education NI(external link opens in a new window / tab)(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207 or email: Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- New £6.9million extension for Enniskillen Integrated Primary School officially opened 26 May 2023
- Independent review of special educational needs will drive forward change for children and young people 23 May 2023
- Pastoral Care awards for local schools 22 May 2023
- New school build for St Ronan’s College 16 May 2023