Platinum Jubilee curriculum resources will help our young people to understand the significance of Queen Elizabeth II’s historic reign, Education Minister Michelle McIlveen said today.
Launching the Platinum Jubilee Curriculum Resources, which have been designed by CCEA, the Minister paid tribute to Her Majesty’s remarkable life of service.
Speaking at Victoria Primary School in Newtownards, Michelle McIlveen said: “We are privileged to have known the enduring leadership of our Monarch for 70 years. As we celebrate Her Majesty the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, we are reminded of her unwavering dedication to the people of the United Kingdom throughout her historic reign.
“Her Majesty has been a constant source of hope and inspiration to people across Northern Ireland, and it is right that our children and young people have an opportunity to learn about everything she has achieved, as well as the significance of this incredible milestone.
“I welcome the creation of these inspiring and engaging resources for schools. They will enable pupils to participate in various activities as part of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations, including research, discussion, debate and creative thought about Queen Elizabeth’s II’s reign and the concept of monarchies.”
Fully aligned with the Northern Ireland Curriculum, the programme will be targeted at Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3 pupils and teachers in both mainstream and special school settings.
Encouraging children to get involved, the Minister concluded: “From writing poetry, to a Big Jubilee Summer Fair and a Jubilee Bake Off competition, this programme promises a fun filled and exciting end to the school curriculum this summer term.
“I encourage everyone to get involved in the full range of activities to mark this fantastic celebration over the next number of weeks.”
Notes to editors:
- The Platinum Jubilee resources can be found at: https://ccea.org.uk/jubilee-2022
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_NI(external link opens in a new window / tab).
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207 or email: Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- McIlveen officially opens new £7m Enniskillen Model Primary School 22 June 2022
- Landscape Review of the Education Authority published 22 June 2022
- McIlveen announces qualification arrangements for next academic year 21 June 2022
- McIlveen announces Special Educational Needs provision in mainstream schools 21 June 2022