A £2 million investment in St Joseph’s Primary School is being celebrated as the school marks its 180th year.
As part of the project, a large extension was constructed which has created a new entrance, a multipurpose hall, kitchen, changing rooms, toilets and four new classrooms. In addition, the main building was refurbished providing two classrooms, a resource area, staffroom, multipurpose room and medical room while most of the temporary accommodation was removed.
The scheme was delivered under the School Enhancement Programme which provides much needed facilities to improve school environments.
Derek Baker, Permanent Secretary for the Department of Education, said: “St Joseph’s Primary School is celebrating its 180 year anniversary and I want to congratulate them on this achievement.
“I am especially pleased that this major investment has made such a difference to this school, creating new classrooms and other vital space while at the same time retaining an important piece of local history by enhancing the original national school which opened its doors in 1838.
“These excellent facilities have been delivered under the School Enhancement Programme (SEP) and are evidence of the very real benefits for our schools estate, providing much needed facilities and creating a better place in which pupils can learn and flourish for many generations to come. Many thanks to all of those involved for their hard work and consideration in delivering this scheme.”
Notes to editors:
- The School Enhancement Project (SEP) was announced in 2013 for projects costing between £500,000 and £4,000,000. The programme is targeted to meet the immediate and pressing needs in schools where major capital works are not deemed deliverable.
- The project started on site in January 2015 and was completed in October 2016. The scheme was project managed by the Education Authority on behalf of the Department.
- The main contract was Maurice Flynn & Sons Ltd.
- For media enquiries about this press release, please contact the DE Press Office on 028 9127 9755 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 04 November 2019
- Reappointment of members to the Northern Ireland Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) 30 October 2019
- New £1 million 1st Tyrone Scouts Hall officially opened 28 October 2019
- Reappointment of Department of Education appointed members to the General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland (GTCNI) 24 October 2019