Education Minister, Peter Weir, has welcomed the establishment of the Controlled Schools’ Support Council (CSSC) which became operational today.
The CSSC will be led by a highly experienced educationalist, Barry Mulholland who previously served as the Chief Executive of the Western Education and Library Board and more recently, as Regional Managing Director of the Education Authority.
The Minister said: “This is an historic day for education in Northern Ireland. The establishment of the Controlled Schools Support Council will help to address a longstanding deficit in representation. It will place the controlled sector on a similar footing with the other sectors in education.
“The new CSSC will ensure the sector has a strong and effective voice. I am confident that they will make a positive contribution in helping to raise educational standards across the controlled sector. This is an important step towards greater equality and fairness in education.”
Notes to editors:
1. In September 2014, the Executive agreed that the historical deficit in controlled schools’ sectoral representation should be addressed within the Education Bill by including a provision which would allow the Department to fund a Controlled Sector support body.
2. Follow us on Twitter @education_NI https://twitter.com/Education_NI
3. See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/collections/72157667842162353/
4. Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- NI Pupils perform well in mathematics, reading and science in International Survey 05 December 2023
- Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC) identified at a school in Belfast 29 November 2023
- Strike action will further disrupt the education of children and young people 20 November 2023
- Call for School Governors across Northern Ireland 13 November 2023