A new state of the art Scout facility has been officially opened in Dungannon following funding from the Department of Education’s Voluntary Youth Capital Scheme.
The investment has been used to create new premises comprising of a modern main hall designed to meet the needs of the scouts. In addition, there is a large foyer with social space, Venture Scout Room meeting room and veranda area, accessible toilets and shower facilities and a large equipment store.
Speaking at an event to mark the official opening, Deputy Secretary, Lianne Patterson said, “This is a significant investment by the Department and is part of our ongoing commitment to provide services to improve the lives of young people and those who work in the sector.
“I am pleased that the 1st Tyrone Scouts have these wonderful new premises to provide young people with a safe and welcoming environment to learn and develop their skills.
“The youth sector continues to make a real difference to the lives of our young people. Facilities such as this help improve their educational outlook and I know will be greatly enjoyed by scouts and their leaders for many years to come.
Construction on the new Scout hall started in February 2018 and was completed within 12 months.
1st Tyrone Scouts Chairperson, Lisa Toner said: “We at 1st Tyrone scouts are excited for the future development of scouting and other youth community opportunities with the completion of the new scout hall premises. We would like to thank the Department of Education and Education Authority personnel for their support and assistance through the various stages of the project.”
Sharon O’Connor, Chairperson of the Education Authority, said: “I am delighted to be here today to mark the official opening of this new state of the art, purpose built, Scout Hall. Local youth services, such as 1st Tyrone Scouts, help enable and empower our young people to realise their full potential, and make a positive contribution to their local community. We must continue to invest in local community facilities like this so that our young people can continue to benefit from the important experiences and skills that youth services offer.
Notes to editors:
- Bavan Construction from Mayobridge was appointed the main contractor.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_NI and our Facebook page, Department of Education Northern Ireland.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Telephone: 028 9127 9772. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer number 028 9037 8110.
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 04 November 2019
- Reappointment of members to the Northern Ireland Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) 30 October 2019
- 28 October 2019
- Reappointment of Department of Education appointed members to the General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland (GTCNI) 24 October 2019