Dr Mark Browne, Permanent Secretary at the Department of Education, has officially opened a new, state of the art seven classroom extension to Enniskillen Integrated Primary School and Nursery Unit.
The £6.9million project was funded through the Fresh Start Programme supported by the UK Government.
Speaking at the official opening, Dr Browne said: “It gives me great pleasure to be here to celebrate the opening of these magnificent new facilities. The investment of almost £7million will enhance the educational experience for everyone currently involved with Enniskillen Integrated Primary School and future generations.
“The opening of any new school extension or building is something to be celebrated. However, a building is only part of what makes a school. It is the pupils and teachers who are the heartbeat.
“I would like to commend staff, pupils and parents for their perseverance and patience over the last number of years as the project team has taken the work through from design to planning and construction.
“These new, modern facilities will match the school’s collective enthusiasm and passion for learning and teaching as it continues on its education journey.
“I wish the staff and school management every success for the future in their new facilities.”
Construction work on the school extension began in June 2021 with the new facilities opening in January 2023.
Notes to editors:
- Samuel Stevenson were the Integrated Consultant Team on the project. Woodvale Construction Company were appointed to carry out the construction works which completed January 2023.
- The Fresh Start funding forms part of the UK Government's commitment, as part of the Fresh Start and Stormont House agreements, to deliver up to £500m of new capital funding over 10 years to support shared and integrated education.
- The scheme was first announced as a project to receive funding from the Fresh Start Programme in March 2016.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk
- NI Pupils perform well in mathematics, reading and science in International Survey 05 December 2023
- Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC) identified at a school in Belfast 29 November 2023
- Strike action will further disrupt the education of children and young people 20 November 2023
- Call for School Governors across Northern Ireland 13 November 2023