Education Minister John O'Dowd has visited Acorn Integrated Primary School in Carrickfergus to view a £1.29million classroom extension.
The extension which has provided the school with three new classrooms and a new play area for children has been funded through the School Enhancement Programme (SEP). This programme provides an opportunity for schools to enhance and extend the life-span of the existing estate.
The Minister said:
“I am delighted to be here today to see what a difference this project has made to the fabric of Acorn Integrated. The new facilities have provided a real boost which will enhance the learning environment and ensure that the school is well equipped to deliver the curriculum well into the future.
“Projects like this one have been made possible through the School Enhancement Programme, which not only benefits the classroom, but also supports the local construction industry.”
In conclusion, the Minister said:
“Improving the schools’ estate remains a key priority for me and I will seek additional funds to ensure that this important area of work continues to get the attention it deserves.”
Notes to editors:
- Acorn Integrated Primary School has an enrolment of 201 pupils and 26 children in the Nursery Unit.
- Newmac Contracts, Portadown completed the works.
- The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect - Education Works for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
- See photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- McIlveen cuts first sod for new £33million build for Down High School 27 October 2022
- McIlveen extends Engage and Healthy Happy Minds programmes 27 October 2022
- New £14.5m Rossmar Special School officially opened 26 October 2022
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 25 October 2022