Education Minister John O’Dowd has visited the site of the new £1.3million Edenderry Nursery School in Belfast as work begins on the site.
The new school which is situated at the junction of Lanark Way and Mayo link will cater for 52 pre-school pupils. The nursery school is currently located in Glenwood Primary School.
Speaking at the site the Minister said:
“This is an exciting time for local families and the wider Shankill community. The new Edenderry Nursery School will provide pre-school places for 52 children.
“Research consistently confirms the importance of pre-school education. The early years of a child’s life are a time of significant physical and mental development and involving them in a pre-school environment can enrich that development not only in learning terms, but also socially and behaviourally. I have no doubt that this new state of the art facility will positively impact on pupils, teachers and school staff now and for generations to come.
“Improving the schools estate is a key priority for me. Not only does it enhance the learning environment investment in the schools estate also provides much needed employment for the local construction industry. I wish all concerned with Edenderry Nursery School well for the future.”
Notes to editors:
1. Construction work is being taken forward under the Belfast Strategic Partnership Agreement between the Education Authority and Strategic Partner Amey FMP and the build is due to complete in November 2016.
2. The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect - Education Works for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
3. See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
4. Media enquiries to the Department of Education’s Communications Team on Tel: 028 9127 9268. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699715440 and your call will be returned.
- Latest Department of Education updates in relation to COVID-19 (coronavirus) 29 May 2020
- Education Minister holds first pupil press conference 26 May 2020
- Statement from the Education Minister to the Ad Hoc Committee 21 May 2020
- Minister outlines plans to provide digital devices to disadvantaged children 21 May 2020