Over 300 pupils will benefit from opportunities to learn Highland dance and bagpipes.
This programme will be delivered by Bready and District Ulster Scots Development Association who have successfully delivered a pilot project of highland dance and bagpipe tuition. DE funding will enable more children to participate by encouraging more schools to participate in the pilot project.
The Minister said:
“This project has many benefits. It will contribute to the cultural life of the schools taking part and also provide children with an introduction to music and dance as well as promoting a healthy lifestyle. Not only that, the project will enhance the Ulster Scots culture and heritage and enhance the delivery of the curriculum.
The pupils from all ages in our schools will have the opportunity to learn Highland Dance and get the chance to learn the bagpipes. I am pleased to support the extension of Ulster Scots culture and history into the classroom.”
Notes to editors:
- The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel
- See photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned
- ‘Safety and wellbeing of children and young people a priority’ - McIlveen 10 January 2022
- Appointment of new members to the Boards of the Northern Ireland Council for Integrated Education and Comhairle na Gaelscolaĺochta 07 January 2022
- McIlveen congratulates education staff receiving New Year Honours 31 December 2021
- McIlveen launches Major Capital Works programme 23 December 2021