Parents of primary 7 pupils are being asked to ensure they have applied for a post-primary place before the deadline of Wednesday 23 February.
To date some 18,548 applications have been submitted. This is short of the number of applications that would have been expected to have been submitted by this point.
A spokesperson for the Department of Education said: “While a large number of applications have been received, we are still some way short of the 24,000 applications that are anticipated.
“We are asking parents/guardians of P7 pupils to apply through the online portal before it closes at 4pm on Wednesday 23 February.
“If an application is late it cannot be considered until all those received by the deadline have been considered. This means that a child is highly unlikely to be able to access an oversubscribed school and may have a very limited choice available when all punctual applicants have been placed.”
The Education Authority has also written to primary schools to ask for their help in reaching those parents who have not yet applied.
To apply for a post-primary place visit the EA’s website (www.eani.org.uk) and click on the ‘Apply Now’ link on the homepage. Guidance on the process is readily accessible.
Notes to editors:
- Late applications will only be processed where there are exceptional reasons for the delay and only when a paper form is received by the Education Authority (EA) by 9 March 2022.
- Applications submitted after 9 March will not be processed until after the issue of placement notifications on 21 May, at which point many schools will have filled all available places.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- McIlveen cuts first sod for new £33million build for Down High School 27 October 2022
- McIlveen extends Engage and Healthy Happy Minds programmes 27 October 2022
- New £14.5m Rossmar Special School officially opened 26 October 2022
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 25 October 2022