Education Minister, Peter Weir, presented Harpur’s Hill Primary School with the Marjorie Boxall Quality Mark Award for Nurture provision during a visit to Coleraine yesterday.
The school created a nurture group known as ‘The Sunshine Class’ which helped them scoop the Boxall Award from the Nurture Group Network. Harpur’s Hill primary is now one of ten primary schools in Northern Ireland to receive a nurture award.
Congratulating the school on their award the Minister said:
“Harpur’s Hill Primary has received this award because of the high quality of nurture provision within the school. The award is testament to the hard-work and commitment of the school to support, not just those children who have come through the nurture group, but all of its pupils.
“I have presented a number of nurture awards over the past few months, and I must say I have really enjoyed meeting the children and teachers and hearing how each school has made its own ‘nurture journey’.”
The Minister concluded:
“I want to congratulate Harpur’s Hill on receiving this award. By working together we can help our young people unlock their full potential as they move through all the stages of school. I wish everyone well for the future.”
During his visit to Coleraine the Minister visited a number of schools including Coleraine College and Millstrand Integrated Primary where he met with the principals, teachers and Board of Governors to discuss a range of issues.
The Minister also opened the Christmas Tree Festival at Kilrea Primary School in the Coleraine area.
Notes to editors:
- The Majorie Boxall Quality Mark Award for Nurture Provision is presented by the Nurture Group Network, the UK national accrediting body,
- Receipt of the award requires that the school’s Nurture Group is operating to the highest possible standards but also looks closely at how nurturing principles are being applied across the school.
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383, and your call will be returned.
- Northern Ireland Teachers’ Pension Scheme – IT System contract award 20 June 2019
- Work starts on £8.6million Holy Evangelists’ Primary School in Dunmurry 19 June 2019
- Views sought on newcomer pupils policy 18 June 2019
- Post Primary Admissions - Information 31 May 2019