Two schools in South Down to benefit from £274,150.56 investment under the Department of Education’s minor works scheme.
Speaking about the investment, Education Minister Peter Weir said:
“Recent capital funding of £274,150.56 has been approved for works to schools in the South Down area. £155,372.56 has been approved for a new lobby extension and refurbishment at St Marys Primary School, Dunsford, while St Malachys Primary School, Kilclief will benefit from £118,778 for replacement mobile and provision of staff toilet.
“It is estimated that over £51million will have been invested in the minor works programme in the 2016/17 financial year. This investment will enable improvements to be carried out across the schools estate, positively impacting on pupils, teachers and school staff.”
Minor works are projects less than £500,000 and range from minor improvements to more significant projects and extensions.
In conclusion the Minister said:
“I am confident that the substantial investment in minor works projects will help in the drive to improve educational standards. The completion of all of these works will ultimately provide better facilities for our children and young people to learn in and an improved working environment for teachers and other school staff. This ongoing significant investment also provides a boost to our local construction industry, helping to sustain jobs.”
Notes to editors:
1. The contracts were awarded to:
- OB Construction - St Marys PS, Dunsford
- Maghera Developments - St Malachys PS, Kilclief
2. Minor works are projects less than £500,000 (excl. VAT) ranging from minor repair to more significant work projects and extensions.
3. Watch the Department’s YouTube channel.
4. Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
5. See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
6. Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623974383, and your call will be returned.
- Applications sought for members to the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment 18 September 2023
- Construction work begins on £4.4 million sixth form accommodation at Parkhall Integrated College 18 September 2023
- Work begins on £11million building project for Coleraine Grammar School 11 September 2023
- Consultation launched on the Reduction and Management of Restrictive Practices in Educational Settings 05 September 2023