New operational guidance for schools seeking to change to integrated status has been published today.
Transformation is the name given to the legal process whereby a school becomes an integrated school. Currently, twenty-five schools in Northern Ireland have transformed.
The guidance provides advice to school communities on what is meant by the process; how to plan for it; the legal and administrative requirements; and finally the help available as they explore the option of Transformation.
A spokesperson for the Department of Education said:
“The Department aims to encourage and facilitate the development of integrated education in line with parental preference. We have, therefore, produced this guidance document to help school communities consider the benefits of Transformation; decide whether it is the right option for their school; and overcome any barriers they may feel exist.
“The overall aim is to refresh and reinvigorate the Transformation Process, as a rewarding process for school communities, providing unique opportunities to enhance the educational experiences of children and young people.”
A copy of the guidance has been issued to all schools and can be accessed on the Department’s website.
Notes to editors:
- Integrated education brings together within a single school community pupils, staff and governors from Protestant, Catholic and other cultural traditions. There are currently 65 grant-maintained or controlled integrated schools in Northern Ireland.
- The guidance can be accessed on the Department’s website.
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Appointments to the Board of the Youth Council for Northern Ireland (YCNI) 12 October 2018
- Recruitment of recently qualified teachers 10 October 2018
- More schools than ever participating in Shared Education 08 October 2018
- Work is underway for new £2million Youth Club in Lurgan 04 October 2018