Details on resources available to schools this summer to support children have been outlined by Education Minister, Peter Weir today.
Around 50 schools are running activities during July and August.
Resources for schools include:
- Support for on-line resources to assist children going into Year 7 in the development of their literacy and numeracy skills; and
- Support for Summer School provision for primary schools who wish to deliver these activities aimed at children going into Years 5, 6 and 7.
The Minister said: “In June, I announced plans for a package of measures to help children and young people through the summer period and beyond to help alleviate the impact of Covid-19 on children’s learning.
“The summer months provide an important opportunity to help support this group of children and young people.
“The main purpose of these initiatives is to resource schools to support and build confidence in children, ensuring they are ready to engage in their learning.”
Notes to editors:
Notes to editors:
- Frequently Asked Questions are available on the DE website in relation to virtual learning and summer schools.
- Participating schools will have a budget of £10,000 each to deliver their Summer School designed to cover staff costs, cleaning and the provision of snacks/refreshments.
- These measures are part of a £12million package of support which was announced by the Executive on 30 June 2020. The third and largest part of the proposed measures is the “Engage” programme. Work is at an early stage of development but these much needed resources will provide targeted interventions to support children and young people who require additional support to engage with learning on their return to school.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Appointment of a Non-Executive Member to the Department of Education 06 May 2022
- McIlveen announces extra £7.6M for Engage II programme 26 March 2022
- Statement from Education Minister on the use of face coverings in schools 25 March 2022
- McIlveen launches Platinum Jubilee Education Programme 25 March 2022