Education Minister, Peter Weir, said that registered childminders are key to the delivery of childcare services in Northern Ireland.
The Minister was speaking at the Annual NI Childminding Association conference (NICMA) in Belfast where the theme was ‘Childminding Matters’.
Childminders are the largest group of childcare providers in NI. They account for around 70% of all registered providers and 32% of all registered childcare places.
The Minister said:
“As Minister with responsibility for delivering the Executive’s Childcare Strategy, I want to ensure the childcare needs of parents and children are being fully met.
“When you look at the figures we have on childcare services, it is clear that so many people rely on childminders for their childcare. Quite simply, our childcare sector could not survive without its registered childminders, they are key to the delivery of childcare services here.”
The Minister continued:
“I am pleased to have received so many responses to the Childcare Strategy consultation. This will assist in a Childcare Strategy that is well informed and reflects the views of so many in the sector and beyond. I hope to bring a draft of the Childcare Strategy to my Executive Colleagues in the coming weeks for their approval.”
Notes to editors:
- NICMA is the sole body representing registered childminders in Northern Ireland.
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623974383, and your call will be returned.
- Appointment of new members to Department of Education Non-Departmental Public Bodies 17 November 2017
- Launch of Anti-Bullying Week 13 November 2017
- New £3.5million sports hall for Integrated College Dungannon 08 November 2017
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 06 November 2017