Education Minister Peter Weir has welcomed funding of almost £64 million to help schools manage Education Authority pressures, COVID-19 pressures and for free school meals.
The funding, which has been allocated as part of the October monitoring round, includes £49.4 million to cover additional costs such as maintenance, staffing, cleaning and other pressures and £12.8 million to cover for a range of pressures including those in Special Educational Needs, and schools maintenance. There is also £1.4 million to cover free school meals funding over the extended half-term break.
The Minister said: “I want to welcome this extra funding which will help my Department, the Education Authority and schools in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Schools and education settings are facing increased costs to help them maintain a safe environment for pupils, including additional cleaning and hiring more staff. We are also facing increased demand for free schools meals and uniform grants.
“I am also pleased that we will be able to fund resources for blended learning and provide support for childcare.
“Principals and school staff are working in a very challenging environment and it is important that they have the resources they need to keep our schools safe for our pupils.”
Notes to editors:
- Further information is available on the Department of Finance website at: https://bit.ly/2GdfEaw
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at: Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Minister welcomes progress on teachers’ pay negotiations 02 March 2021
- Applications sought for membership of the Independent Review of Education Panel 01 March 2021
- Children and Young People’s Emotional Health and Wellbeing in Education Framework launched 26 February 2021
- Weir announces dates for CCEA 2021 examination results 25 February 2021