Education Minister Peter Weir has cut the first sod on a new school build for Elmgrove Primary School in Belfast.
The £12.6million scheme will include the provision of a new 21 classroom primary school, a double unit nursery school and a nurture unit. There will also be pedestrian access onto the Connswater Community Greenway which will make it more accessible for children and parents to walk to and from school.
Speaking at the sod cutting ceremony the Minister said:
“The start of the construction work marks the beginning of a new chapter for Elmgrove Primary School.
“I am confident that the £12.6million investment will help in the drive to improve education standards. I have no doubt this scheme will have a positive impact on staff, pupils, parents and the wider school community in the East Belfast area, as well as providing a boost to the local construction industry.”
Work on the school will involve extensive refurbishment and alterations to the existing Grade A listed building and the construction of three new wings to the rear. The retention of the listed building will ensure the structure preserves an historical architectural element to the school.
The Minister continued: “I would like to thank everyone involved in this project for their hard work and commitment in getting the scheme to this stage.
“I have no doubt that everyone in the school is looking forward to the next few years with a sense of excitement, to see the ongoing construction of the new school.
“I wish everyone well for the future and I look forward to returning, in the not too distant future, to see the new school building standing on this site.”
The new build will accommodate approximately 620 primary pupils and 52 nursery children.
The Integrated Design Team is Amey FMP. The main Contractor is Woodvale. They were appointed to carry out the main building works, which are due to complete in autumn 2023.
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- McIlveen cuts first sod for new £33million build for Down High School 27 October 2022
- McIlveen extends Engage and Healthy Happy Minds programmes 27 October 2022
- New £14.5m Rossmar Special School officially opened 26 October 2022
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 25 October 2022