The Minister of Education has announced the appointment of a new member to the Board of the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA), to fill a vacancy arising from a recent resignation.
The appointment is as follows: Mrs Marlene Kinghan has recently retired from public service having had an extensive management career at a senior level in the Health Service and more recently in the Children’s Commissioner’s Office. She is currently Vice Board Chairperson of the Northern Ireland Childminding Association (NICMA) and is also a full member and sat on the committee of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR). Mrs Kinghan brings to the Board experience of governance, making an impact with others and strategic and creative thinking. She does not serve on any other public Boards and has not undertaken any political activity in the last five years.
Notes to editors:
- The NI Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) is an Executive NDPB sponsored by the Department of Education. CCEA’s role is to keep under review and provide advice on the three areas of the curriculum, examinations and assessment. The constitution of the CCEA is set out in Schedule 3 of the Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1998 and its membership comprises a Chairperson and 13 members.
- This competition was widely advertised including in the Public Appointments section of nidirect. While this competition was sought to fill vacancies on the Council and was concluded in the autumn of 2018, appointments had not been possible in the absence of a NI Executive and an Education Minister. Three new members were appointed in February 2020. This new member had been placed on a reserve list and appointed following a recent resignation from the Council.
- The newly appointed member has a term of appointment ending on 25 October 2023 (unless terminated before that time). These posts are not remunerated, however members are eligible to claim travel and subsistence allowances necessarily incurred on Council business. The expected time commitment for members on the CCEA Council is 1-2 days per month.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Weir – important that admissions criteria are fair and robust 22 January 2021
- Income Support Scheme for Substitute Teachers 22 January 2021
- Weir announces £1m for Residential Outdoor Education Centres 22 January 2021
- Report into alternative awarding arrangements published 21 January 2021