Education Minister has discussed education provision and support for transgender pupils with SAIL (Support, Acceptance, Information and Learning).
SAIL is a support group for the families of gender variant or Transgender individuals of any age. The group raise awareness of gender issues amongst health and education professionals and individuals across the community, voluntary and statutory sectors to encourage best practice in terms of service delivery and access to information.
Speaking after the meeting John O’Dowd said:
“Our schools have an important role to play to ensure they provide a happy environment where all young people feel safe and secure.
"I welcomed the opportunity today to meet with representatives from SAIL to discuss education provision and support for transgender pupils. We had an informative and productive meeting and I am committed to working with SAIL in addressing issues relating to gender identity in our schools."
Notes to editors:
1. The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances.
2. See photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection.
3. Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Applications sought for members to the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment 18 September 2023
- Construction work begins on £4.4 million sixth form accommodation at Parkhall Integrated College 18 September 2023
- Work begins on £11million building project for Coleraine Grammar School 11 September 2023
- Consultation launched on the Reduction and Management of Restrictive Practices in Educational Settings 05 September 2023