This is the second call of the School Enhancement Programme under which schools can benefit from refurbishment or extension projects, valued between £500,000 and £4 million.
Permanent Secretary, Derek Baker, said: “This is a significant investment in our schools estate with a further 16 projects now progressing to planning stage. The School Enhancement Programme continues to provide much-needed improvements and new accommodation for the benefit of our young people and staff.
“Continued investment in our schools estate is essential if we are to help support our teaching staff to deliver a quality education to our children and young people.”
The 16 schools who have been informed their applications have been approved to planning stage are as follows:
- Antrim Primary School
- Ballyclare Primary School
- Dungannon Primary School
- Fairview Primary School, Ballyclare
- Glengormley CI Primary School
- St Brides Primary School, Belfast
- St Joseph’s Primary School, Belfast
- St Mary’s Primary School, Newtownbutler
- The Thompson PS, Ballyrobert
- Dominican College, Portstewart
- Methodist College, Belfast
- St Columbanus’ College, Bangor
- St Mary’s Christian Brothers’ GS, Belfast
- St Patrick’s & St Brigid’s College, Claudy
- Kilronan School, Magherafelt
- Lisanally School, Armagh
Notes to editors:
- The published School Enhancement Programme, Second Call, Protocol For Selection can be found at www.education-ni.gov.uk/publications/school-enhancement-programme-second-call-protocol-selection
- 165 applications were received in the second call for School Enhancement Programme project and 25 projects were announced to advance to planning in May 2018.
- The projects announced were selected according to a published protocol which assessed and prioritised proposals on the basis of factors such as the project’s contribution to rationalisation of the schools’ estate and the suitability/condition of the current accommodation.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 91279207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer number 028 9037 8110 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_NI and our new Facebook page, Department of Education Northern Ireland.
- Latest Department of Education updates in relation to COVID-19 (coronavirus) 29 May 2020
- Education Minister holds first pupil press conference 26 May 2020
- Statement from the Education Minister to the Ad Hoc Committee 21 May 2020
- Minister outlines plans to provide digital devices to disadvantaged children 21 May 2020