New £1.5million accommodation has been officially opened at Killean Primary School in Newry.
The major investment in the school includes a new multi-purpose hall with kitchen facilities, refurbishment of the main school entrance and office, additional car parking and roof repairs. The scheme was delivered under the School Enhancement Programme which provides much needed facilities to improve school environments.
Derek Baker, Permanent Secretary for the Department of Education said: “It is a pleasure to be here for the opening of the new facilities. The new accommodation will provide young people with a safe and friendly environment to develop their own individual skills which can have a positive impact on their local communities.
“It is clear from looking at these excellent new facilities that the School Enhancement Programme is having very real benefits for our schools estate, providing much needed facilities and creating a better place in which pupils can learn and flourish.”
Notes to editors:
- The School Enhancement Project (SEP) was announced in 2013 for projects costing between £500,000 and £4,000,000. The programme is targeted to meet the immediate and pressing needs in schools where major capital works are not deemed deliverable.
- The project was managed by Donnelly O’Neill, Architects. Their design of the new accommodation at Killean PS was shortlisted in the 2018 RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors) Awards.
- The construction contract was awarded to Bavan Contracts Ltd, work commenced on site in September 2016 and completed in September 2017.
- For media enquiries about this press release, please contact the DE Press Office on 028 9127 9755 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Omagh Integrated primary school officially opened 17 May 2019
- Work starts on £3.8million Gaelscoil na gCrann in Omagh 10 April 2019
- Applications sought for board members for Middletown Centre for Autism 09 April 2019
- Local schools awarded for exceptional pastoral care 08 April 2019