Education Minister, John O'Dowd, has encouraged parents of eligible children to apply for school uniform grants.
The Minister said:
“It is that time of the year when parents may be starting to plan for the new school year in September and may be turning their focus to buying new uniforms. The cost of purchasing uniforms can be a worry and a struggle for some parents but the uniform grant can help alleviate the cost.”
The Clothing Allowance Scheme covers pupils in primary, post-primary and special schools. The eligibility criteria are similar to those used for free school meals and seek to target families who are on benefits or low incomes.
The Minister continued:
“In 2014/15 my Department provided approximately £5.1million to support families with school uniform costs, enabling approximately 93,000 pupils to benefit from the grant. This year, I have allocated £5.4million to the scheme.”
Parents who think they may be eligible should contact the Education Authority who will be able to provide additional information and advice as well as an application form. Further information is available on the nidirect website.
Notes to editors:
- The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
- See photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Chief Inspector of Education Training Inspectorate appointed 29 September 2020
- Education Minister launches £11.2m Engage programme 23 September 2020
- Education Minister announces £300 increase in award to childminders 21 September 2020
- Weir announces 15 new nurture groups for primary schools 18 September 2020