Two schools in North Belfast are set to benefit from £100,000 investment under the Department of Education’s minor works scheme.
Speaking about the investment, Education Minister Peter Weir said:
“Recent capital funding of £70,000 has been approved for rewiring of the Assembly Hall at Ballysillan Primary School and £30,000 to Hazelwood Primary School for drainage works.
“It is estimated that over £51million will have been invested in the minor works programme in the 2016/17 financial year. This investment will enable improvements to be carried out across the schools estate, positively impacting on pupils, teachers and school staff.”
Minor works are projects less than £500,000 and range from minor improvements to more significant projects and extensions.
In conclusion the Minister said:
“I am confident that the substantial investment in minor works projects will help in the drive to improve educational standards. The completion of all of these works will ultimately provide better facilities for our children and young people to learn in and an improved working environment for teachers and other school staff. This ongoing significant investment also provides a boost to our local construction industry, helping to sustain jobs.”
Notes to editors:
- The contracts were awarded to BI Electrical for Ballysillan PS and CPD MTC for Hazelwood PS.
- Minor works are projects less than £500,000 (excl. VAT) ranging from minor repair to more significant work projects and extensions.
- Watch the Department’s YouTube channel.
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383, and your call will be returned.
- McIlveen cuts first sod for new £33million build for Down High School 27 October 2022
- McIlveen extends Engage and Healthy Happy Minds programmes 27 October 2022
- New £14.5m Rossmar Special School officially opened 26 October 2022
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 25 October 2022