Education Minister, Peter Weir has officially launched new childcare provision for the Bangor area funded through Bright Start School Age Childcare Grant Scheme.
Speaking at the launch at YMCA North Down, Minister Weir said:
“These 16 new affordable school age childcare places will help the parents and children who most need them. YMCA North Down will receive more than £50,000 in funding over the next 3 years including start-up costs, to help its new childcare provision to develop and move towards sustainability.”
Bright Start is a flagship initiative under the first phase of the Childcare Strategy. Since its launch in 2014, the Bright Start School Age Childcare Grant Scheme has financially supported more than 3,000 high quality, low cost school age childcare places. To date, Bright Start has allocated some £5.6 million to enable key school age childcare services (breakfast clubs, after school clubs and summer schemes) either to be set up or, where already established, to keep operating in often challenging financial circumstances.
Congratulating YMCA North Down on their initiative Minister Weir said:
“High quality childcare services provide a stimulating, developmental experience. They give children a strong start in life, helping them to do better at school and beyond. I welcome the entrepreneurial actions taken by YMCA North Down in participating in the Bright Start grant scheme and I am pleased to declare this new childcare facility formally open.”
Notes to editors:
- The Childcare Strategy is being delivered on a phased basis. The first phase was launched in September 2013 and comprised 15 Key First Actions to address the main childcare priorities that had been identified during an initial phase of consultation and research. The School Age Childcare (SAC) Grant Scheme was launched in March 2014 to help address need. Responsibility for the Scheme transferred to the Department of Education in May 2016 from the former OFMDFM.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383 and your call will be returned.
- Omagh Integrated primary school officially opened 17 May 2019
- Work starts on £3.8million Gaelscoil na gCrann in Omagh 10 April 2019
- Applications sought for board members for Middletown Centre for Autism 09 April 2019
- Local schools awarded for exceptional pastoral care 08 April 2019