Education Minister Michelle McIlveen has cut the first sod on a new 700 pupil school for Ulidia Integrated College, Carrickfergus.
The project represents an investment of £25million from Fresh Start funding.
Speaking at the event the Minister said: “I welcome this £25million investment which represents a significant milestone for Ulidia Integrated College. Once completed this new school will provide much needed education benefits for pupils, staff, teachers, parents and for the wider community.”
The scheme was first announced as a project to receive funding from the Fresh Start Programme in March 2016.
Michelle McIlveen continued: “Schools are very much the hub of any community. I am certain that this investment will have a major impact on the wider local community, promoting good relations and creating many positive outcomes.
“Ongoing investment in our schools’ estate is essential if we are to continue to deliver a high quality education for all our young people as well providing a boost to the local economy and securing construction jobs.”
Acknowledging the work of the school and its stakeholders in bringing the project to this stage, the Minister concluded: “I would like to thank everyone involved in this project for their hard work and commitment in getting it to this stage.
“This is a good day for everyone at Ulidia Integrated College and I am pleased that I could be here to celebrate this occasion with the school.
“I wish the pupils, staff and the school management every success as they embark on this exciting new chapter.”
With some site clearance work completed already, construction began on 12 September 2022.
Notes to editors:
- Hamilton Architects are the Integrated Consultant Team on the project. OHMG (Holdings) Ltd were appointed to carry out the construction works which are due to complete in summer 2024.
- The Fresh Start funding forms part of the UK Government's commitment, as part of the Fresh Start and Stormont House agreements, to deliver up to £500m of new capital funding over 10 years to support shared and integrated education.
- Applications sought for members to the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment 18 September 2023
- Construction work begins on £4.4 million sixth form accommodation at Parkhall Integrated College 18 September 2023
- Work begins on £11million building project for Coleraine Grammar School 11 September 2023
- Consultation launched on the Reduction and Management of Restrictive Practices in Educational Settings 05 September 2023