Guidance on the termination of employment of teachers on the grounds of ill health or capability can be found in the following Department of Education circular:
Re-employment by people in receipt of health related benefits
This information applies to the re-employment of people in receipt of ill health retirement benefits (IHRB), Partial Incapacity Benefit (PIB) and Total Incapacity Benefit (TIB).
Your entitlement to continue to receive a pension from the NITPS will depend on:
- whether you return to teaching employment or non-teaching employment
- the date your retirement benefits were put into payment
- the type of benefit
- if your pension application is received before 6 April 2007, you will be in receipt of IHRB
- if your pension application is received on or after 6 April 2007, you will be in receipt of (i) PIB only, or perhaps (ii) TIB in addition to PIB
Loss of entitlement
You will automatically cease to be entitled to the pension if:
- you are in receipt of a PIB plus TIB and you take up gainful employment. Any gainful employment would cause a TIB to stop immediately
- you are in receipt of a PIB and you take up employment as a teacher or in another educational capacity covered by the NITPS
- you are in receipt of IHRB and you retired before 31 March 2007 and you return to full or part-time teaching employment
- in other circumstances it may be necessary for the Department of Education medical advisers to review your entitlement to the pension
You must always notify Teachers’ Pension branch of all teaching and non-teaching employment as this may affect your entitlement to continue to receive the pension.